Environmental Management Leadership Symposia History
These symposia started in early May of 2008, when approximately 65 environmental managers came together in Rochester for the first Environmental Management Leadership Symposium in a three-year series of symposia that will be held in the US, EU and Asia. The event included 12 topical workshops that began to identify, define, and develop consensus opinions on the roles, goals, positions, and underlying assumptions of the profession. To view the agenda for this event, please click here: AGENDA
The second Environmental Management Leadership Symposium was held on the 23 & 24 of June 2008 at Corvinus University in Budapest, Hungary. The workshops in Budapest built upon the accomplishments of the previous symposium in Rochester and introduced and developed new topics and issues faced by professional environmental managers. To view the agenda for this event, please click here: AGENDA
The third Environmental Management Leadership Symposium was held on October 3 & 4, 2008 at the American College for Management and Technology in Dubrovnik, Croatia! Building on the outcomes of the first two symposia and adding local issues, the event in ACMT continued to define and develop the role of the environmental manager.
The full agenda can be viewed at: dubrovnikenvironmentalmanagementsymposiumagenda-9-24
Below you will find links to the summaries of the workshops held in Dubrovnik:
- The Role of the Environmental Manager in the Workplace
- The Effectiveness of Environmental Management Systems Summary
- The Goals of the Environmental Manager
- The Environmental Manager Skill Set
The fourth Environmental Management Leadership Symposium was held on May 11 & 12, 2009 at Rochester Institute of Technology in Rochester, NY.
The fifth Environmental Management Leadership Symposium was held on June 8 & 9, 2009 at the Bocconi University in Milan, Italy.
Below you will find links to the summaries of the workshops held in Bocconi University:
- The Role of the Environmental Manager in Elevating the Reality Platforms for Sustainability and Social Responsibility
- Sustainability Metrics
- The Role of the Environmental Manager in U.S. and Canadian SMEs
- Can biofuel production be environmentally friendly
The sixth Environmental Management Leadership Symposium was held in Germany at Leuphana University on 22 & 23 May 2010 and explored the possibility that environmental managers should be shifting their focus to becoming sustainability managers.
The seventh Environmental Management Leadership Symposium was held again at the Rochester Institute of Technology in Rochester, NY on the 2nd & 3rd of May 2011. The theme for this event was Environmental Sustainability. This also marked the initiation of a new Journal of Environmental Sustainability. Papers presented at this symposium are being considered for publication in the new journal.
To view the agenda please click here ==> 7th Simposium Agenda
Bellow you will find links to the presentations made at RIT:
- Contradictions in Management of Disasters
- Eccoeficiency Growth and the Nature of Corp Sust
- Environmental Sustainability and Supply Chain Management
- Environmental sustainability and EHS Professional Responsibility
- Rise & Fall of the Sustainability Concept
- The Ecological Allowance of Enterprise
- The Ecological Allowance of Enterprise – backup slides
- Voluntary Environmental Management for SMEs
- Responsibilities in Sustainable Industries
- Sustain rural entrepreneurship
- The use of chemical management services
- Today’s Environmental Manager’s Toolbox
- Assessing Corporate Sustainability Through Ratings
- Evolving role of EHS Manager in Ind Sust Programs