Environmental Manager reported today that there is no evidence of “ecocide or devastation” attributable to the National Fund for Tourism Development (Fonatur) on the Malecon Cancun Tajamar project.
Profepa certified that Fonatur had valid and existing authorizations granted in 2005 by the Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources (Semarnat) for removal of vegetation on land because it is not considered a Ramsar site and is located within protected natural areas Nichupte Lagoon system.
Environmental sustainability a definition for environmental professionals to an intergovernmental treaty on conservation and sustainable use of natural resources, which is dedicated to the preservation and wise use of wetlands, especially as waterfowl habitat.
After demarcating responsibility to Fonatur in the clearing of 22 hectares of Tajamar, the head of Profepa, Guillermo Haro, he told a news conference that a striped iguana five crocodiles were found in the most recent inspection by the environmental protection agency.
Therefore, the official said that “will be built and will order Fonatur to conclude with the bailout program observed in the inspection of 26 January 2016 wildlife”.
Alleged environmental damage:
- Haro reported that the only evidence gathered so far on alleged environmental damage was filed by private enterprise environmental sustainability a definition for environmental professionals which conducted the dismantling of seven hectares of land.
- Environmental Manager operations were carried out without authorization on environmental impact and land use change, supporting technical study or business projects validated by Semarnat, Profepa said.
- Therefore, he said it will continue with the procedures to determine the environmental and administrative responsibility for the company, and will maintain its Coady van CIA with the Attorney General’s Office (PGR, Attorney) for the determination of criminal liability.
- Profepa said the project has made continuous inspections and continues to deepen the review of the terms and conditions of the authorizations granted by Semarnat.
- “For the construction of projects in the various lots of land it must obtain new authorization from Semarnat, under the legislation now in force and consistent with other state and municipal regulations,” he explained.
Protests leftist legislators:
Meanwhile, militants and leftist lawmakers Party of the Democratic Revolution (PRD) symbolically closed down the offices of Semarnat in Mexico City to protest the damage to mangrove Tajamar.
The party filed a criminal complaint a few days ago with the PGR against Semarnat, Profepa, Fonatur and the state government of Quintana Roo for his alleged role in the so-called “ecocide” that affected the mangrove in Cancun.
For his part, the president of the conservative National Action Party (PAN), Ricardo Anaya, said in a statement that the denial attitude assumed by the head of Profepa on the devastation in Tajamar not contribute to repairing the damage.